Saturday, June 29, 2013

SPINNING FOR THE SHEEP TO SHAWL

This Father's day we had two teams to spin and weave a shawl at the San Diego County Fair.  I always love doing this.  This year I didn't enter the spinning contest ( I do so poorly under pressure) so I had a very relaxed time.  Some of my friends and I have been working on spinning the warp for this project for over a month.  That was probably my favorite part.  We met every Tuesday at one of the Girls houses (Kelly's ) and made plans, spun on the yarn and had lunch together (thanks again to Kelly) 

Until I got my new electric spinner I was in a blue funk about spinning.  Most of the time I was in so much pain I couldn't even concentrate on knitting.  But with my new miniSpinner I am in heaven.  I can spin all day or into the night.  Happy Girl!!! 

This is all my gear set up ready to go at the Sheep to Shawl.  I got this wonderful case that was really made for ice skaters to carry their Ice skates in and they can sit on top to put on and take off their skates.  It works perfect for my minSpinner as a table and of course as a carrying case.  It has awesome wheels that light up as it roles.  Ron bought me a new chair to match and I got the bag at the grocery store to match.  I'm all decked out and even got a battery for the spinner so I can spin anywhere I go.  It also has attachments to spin in the car or motor home or boat.  Great fun for me and I just keep making more yarn.
We had two teams this year so it was double fun.  We had two looms on stage and our plyer was on stage.  The rest of us spinners were on the floor in front so we could spin and answere questions people had about what we were doing.  This is always a great out reach to the public about spinning and all fiber arts.  It advertises our spinning class, but also lets people know we are out there.  You'de be surprised how many people don't know there are spinners in San Diego.  You wouldn't think we would need wool things, but it's everywhere. 
 
This is our loom right before we got started.  It was already warped and ready to weave on.
 
 
Here you can see the beautiful warp.  It was such a fun project.  The white in the middle was mostly my Isabell.  She is a Columbia sheep.  The colors on the edges are mostly Tammy's sheep and Aunt Cocoa, Beth and Murphy.  We all donated what we had to do this project.  It was such fun.


This is the Shawl we wove with our handspun.  It turned out so beautiful.
I really love weaving.  Totally different than knitting or crocheting.  It makes fabric.  I just warp my table loom for dishtowels so will be weaving while working this summer.  I still can't use my big loom because of my knee.  Oh well, that's another story!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: