Sunday, September 15, 2013

Working on an Afghan for a hand knitting class

I signed up for a hand knitting class this semester.  I have wanted to do this for a long time.  I just kept putting it off, and now that I have someone who wants to take it with me, I am taking the plunge.

The project for the class is a pattern stitch Afghan.  Which means it is 42 squares in different pattern stitches put together to make an afghan.  I haven't even got to go to the class yet. But my friend Kelly did and brought me the directions and I have started knitting the squares.  We are 5 squares behind.  I missed the first week because I was still working and then my dr's appointment was last Wednesday.

The idea is to knit 2 squares a week to keep up with the class.  That is fine, except I am also going to spin all the yarn that it will take to make this thing.  I have so much wool and it is silly not to use it.  Besides, when I am done it will be very special indeed. 

I am spinning Isabella (Columbia Sheep) and plying it with "Cotton"  (Moreno).  It should be pretty cozy.  They are both white, really a cream color and it will show the stitch definition really well.

This is the first square.  Four more to finish by Wednesday.  I probably will not catch up the first week.  I will just plug away until I am caught up.

No comments: