Sunday, January 11, 2009

Alabama Bound




This is a trolley bus we rode through Montgomery Alabama to get around the city. We did a lot of walking too which gave us a better sense for things.
My daughter lives and works in Montgomery Alabama. We spent a week there and had a really good time. Four of my grandchildren live there as well, so we really enjoyed being with them. While we were there we spent time in their home while Ron built a dog house for their dogs. And we went exploring the city while the kids were in school. There is so much history in this part of the country.
The beginnings of the Civil Rights movement. The government seat of the Confederacy. Lots of old buildings and historic monuments. Wow my head was full.

This fountain is in the heart of the city and the water comes from an underground spring.







This is Ron and I in front of the house where a lot of the meetings for the bus boycott took place during the time after Rosa Parks wouldn't give up her seat on that bus! Martin Luther King Jr. and his family lived here when he worked for the Baptist Church during all the Civil Rights movement. All the furniture inside is the original and is just as it was when the King family lived there.















This is the Baptist church that Martin Luther King Jr. worked for and preach in during this period. It is a museum of sorts, giving tours during the week, and is still a practising church. They have services on Sundays and all the things other Baptist Churches have and there are a few of the neighborhood who are the original members from the times.






The other thing that was so amazing is the Confederate White House is in Montgomery. We toured that also. I really never realized that the South had their own government during the Civil War. They had a President and a Congress and everything. I have to admit I was never that interested in history until I got older. These old Cities are fascinating and full of our history. We really enjoyed walking there and just soaking it in.


We had many more adventures and I will get to those another day.
I am still spinning the Pomegranate Moreno/silk blend on my Elizabeth (we are becoming better acquainted) and I am almost done with the EZ surprise jacket I am making for a grandchild. I am really feeling lost because I don't have any socks going right now. I am desperate to get some started.
Today I am working on cheese cakes for my granddaughter's wedding and other goodies we will have for that so maybe while the ovens doing it's thing I can spin.
Spin on...........................Sheena



No comments: